.entry-content img { border: #000000 2px solid; }

Monday, July 22, 2019

Ridge of the Rockies - Ennis MT to Butte MT

The route from Ennis MT to Butte MT covered 87 miles and about 4500 feet of climbing.  We had a long climb this morning that started within a couple miles of leaving Ennis in cool temperatures (low 50s F).  This climb went on for about 10 miles, and about halfway up I had to stop to shed my arm warmers and vest.

A very fast downhill brought us to the historical community of Virginia City, and then to the first rest stop.  After refueling, I left on my own and made pretty good time trying to stay ahead of the three Aussies in the tour.  After about 10 miles I saw a lone rider closing on me, and it turned out to be Lon.  He drafted behind me until we caught up with Doug.  I thought I was doing ok to be pulling at 17 - 18 mph, but after catching Doug, Lon went to the front and proceeded to pull us at 21 - 23 mph for the next 8 miles, into the second rest stop.

The little settlement of Silver Star featured some large antique wheels along the road.  The lunch trailer was 15 miles further, and after lunch we had another long climb up Pipestone Pass to cross the Continental Divide.  A fast twisty descent and a few miles of flat to slightly rolling terrain brought us to Butte.

Another beautiful day on the tour!

That's me climbing the long grade (MT 287) from Ennis MT

Morning cloud formations



The Big Sky Country

Virginia City MT

Virginia City


Virginia City

Old wheels in Silver Star MT

Climbing up Pipestone Pass after lunch



2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful country ... all I have to do is ask our daughter who is in Billings! She takes great Montana-scape photos ~

    Have a good ride -- soon back home,

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete