.entry-content img { border: #000000 2px solid; }

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Ridge of the Rockies - Durango to Montrose CO

Apologies for this post being delayed by one day - I was so wiped out when I arrived at the motel that I forgot to retrieve my computer from the motel trailer, and it is closed up and locked about 15 minutes after the last rider arrives, or 5 pm whichever is later.

A very tough day, with 3 individual long climbs to over 10,000 feet.  These all occurred in the first 60 miles - around 8200 feet of climbing.  The final 49 miles (109 total for the day) were a reward for all that hard work - a screaming descent into Ouray (accompanied by some teeth clenching due to no guard rails), and a nice 25 - 30 mph tailwind for the final 22 miles into Montrose.

I had a very scary moment climbing to Molas Pass (the second big climb of the day).  The highway stripes were being repainted, and there is not a lot of space between the fog line and a sheer drop off.  Orange pylons had been placed on the fog line to keep traffic off the fresh paint.  I was attempting to ride on that narrow strip of pavement to the right of the fog line (at about 4 or 5 mph), and it kept getting narrower.  At one point I was faced with going over the edge or taking out a pylon.  Needless to say, that pylon is history.  I had to move over to a pull off area on the other side of the road and walk the length of the pull off to calm down enough to proceed.  After that experience, I refused to ride to the right of the white line - the traffic was just going to have to wait.


Almost to the top


One of the 3 summits.  Paint truck in background

At summit of Molas Pass


I knocked over one of these pylons rather than go over the edge of the road


Not much between the riders and a drop off.  Colorado uses guard rails sparingly.

Exciting descent when you are going 35 - 40 and have a 15 mph curve ahead

Looking down on Silverton CO








Repurposed 50s Dodge in Silverton

Main street in Silverton

Some of the traffic to contend with on a descent.  Add some wind and no guard rails, and the rule was "take the lane!"  A couple of riders couldn't handle the stress and rode in a van.
This shows the drop off along one portion of a climb

2 comments:

  1. If anyone could make that route it was you, Bob.
    I bailed out of your back pocket when I saw what was ahead and not on the side !

    Deep breaths..

    Continue to stay safe, My Friend [ huggz to both of y'all ],

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured that the ride on this day must have been quite tough because you had been posting every evening, but the post for this day appeared to be a couple days behind the usual schedule.

    Regarding the roadway -- Yikes!!

    You have likely noticed that I tend to move away from the edge the fog line and toward the middle of the lane whenever I ride across a bridge. I do have some issues with precipitous drops, even with guard-rails. Sometimes I move toward the middle of the lane when going over a bridge because the thought going through my head is "if a car hits me, I want to be pushed INTO the guard-rail or concrete "Jersey barriers" being used as a guard-rail rather than be THROWN OVER the guard-rails and onto the road (or whatever) that is under the bridge.

    If I had been on that ride, I may very likely have been one of those getting into a van.

    I tell people "Bob is tough; tougher than you think." I know that you are tougher than me.

    Glad you made it through the day. Glad you took the calm-down time when you needed it.

    Keep riding, and as always,
    Enjoy the ride,
    ... Martin

    ReplyDelete