.entry-content img { border: #000000 2px solid; }

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kerr Lake Permanent

Jan. 16 was much more tolerable temperature wise than the 2nd, with temperatures ranging between 32 and somewhere around 50 degrees. 10 of us took off from the start north of Raleigh at 7 a.m. and basically followed NC Bike Route 1 north toward Virginia. We crossed the dam and circled Kerr Lake before returning to NC and Bike Route 1. This was my first permanent, as well as first time on this route though a part of it was included in the Ride Between the Lakes century that used to be held every October (it started in Warrenton but it has been several years since the ride was offered).

I enjoyed seeing some new faces (new to me, since I'm the newcomer). Gary Shaffer lost a screw from one of his shoe cleats at the half way point, so he was forced to leave his left shoe attached to his pedal the remainder of the ride (with only one screw holding the cleat on, kicking your foot out in the normal way to disengage only causes the shoe to pivot). Made for some interesting times getting off and on his bike. Congratulations Gary for finishing the ride in less than ideal circumstances. Last night I decided to check my own cleat screws and discovered both of the left screws were loose and one had backed out one turn! I believe I'll throw in a spare cleat and some screws for the next brevet.

It was time to turn on lights by about 1645 (I could see the road and cue sheet fine, but with dusk coming on I wanted to be visible), and I finished up around 1730. It was a great ride and I look forward to many more. Thank you Mike for getting the ride organized, and to the other riders who made this enjoyable as well as challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment